Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

nissan quest: No interior lights..all the fuses and they appear ok

Customer Question

No interior lights and vanity lights on nissan quest. I think I checked all the fuses and they appear ok.

if it was the fuse, which one would it be?

can it be the toggle switch on the dash (illumination control) that is the issue??
I checked that and it does get power (lights up)??

where else can i look
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Hi there! What year is your quest?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, I didn't get all of your info on my side.
OK, there are 3 fuses in the box inside the car. You should remove them and check them manually. #16,19 and # XXXXX Please double echeck them and let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yeah already checked those.

they are fine.

in case its the illumination control.....

I get power to the illumination control, it lights up. there are I believe 6 prongs going into this, when I test the outer 2 the tester lights.....when I check the other 4, the tester doesnt.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Do you have power on the red/blue wire going to the switch?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, that switch only controls the brightness of the little lights. Things like the glove box lights, the lights on the AT shifters, dash lights window switches,things like that.
The body control module is what controls the vanity lights and the dome lights. Do you have a swwitch next to that one? There should be what is called a lamps on demand switch. This switch should turn the lights on when you turn it on.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

there are some other switches there

one is a rotary switch--this adjusts the interior brightness of the instrument panel, etc, and when you turn it all the way it should turn on the interior lights.

this switch (rotary) is currently working and controlling the brightness of the dashboard switches. the other switch is a toggle switch with 3 positions, but as you are saying this switch might not be controlling my issue.

any other places to check? all other things in the car appear to work except of the interior and vanity lights.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
There is one other switch there. It is called lamps on demand. It has a LG wire(light green) A Pink wire and a Black wire to it. it has a 6 pin harness. This switch has to be iun the middle position. If it is not, I believe it will over ride the bcm and make it keep all of the lights off. That is the only thing controlling the lights other then the body control module.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thats the switch i meant. thats the switch that has a 6pin harness. I took this swich out and checked the harness...... its getting power on the outer 2 nodes of the harness (checked with tester)...the other 4 when I touch them get nothing.

could this switch be the issue, as I stated it does get power to it and lights up when I plug it in?? sorry for calling it the wrong thing before.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
No this is good. This will help us maybe figure it out. I have only got the wiring diiagram, so we will work together and see what we can come up with. With the drivers door open, you should see power on the light green wire and the pink wire. Are those the wire colors you have power on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

unfortunately my wife has the car, im at work.

but I do remember that only the outer 2 had power, the other 4 didnt.

does it sound like the switch is the issue?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK. Looking at the connector the outer 2 are the ones that should have power. I am not showing all of the other 4 wires in the switch,just the illumination wires. When you turn this switch on, the interior lights should light. If they don't then I would start with the switch. It has a hi probability. I wish I could be more specific,but in reality when you turn the switch on, you are telling the BCM turn the lights on and it isn't. So it could be the switch is not telling the BCM to turn the lights on. I would start with the switch.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ill start with the switch and pick it up on the way home.

ill let you know if that fixed the issue.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Sounds like a good plan to me. And I would like to know how it goes.Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How can I be sure its the switch?

they wont take it back if I open the package as its electrical.

is there a way i can verify the switch is bad. I went and pulled all the fuses and they all look fine, even the ones under the hood.

is there a way to jump the wires on the cable to bypass the switch/etc. Switch is 87 dollars and non returnable once opened.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
I think if you run a jumper from the LG wire to the black wire it should turn the lights on. It looks like the bcm sends the signal when the door is open so stay off the Pink wire. Try is and see what happens
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok finally got this checked.

Told me its the BCM

went to junkyard and bought BCM now lights come on inside cabin (vanity,etc), but car wont start

it sounds like it is going to start but wont.

so put back in old BCM and car starts,---and actually had lights for a day. Next day no lights again inside cabin

1) Did I buy the wrong BCM or does it just need to have the keys reprogrammed?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Hello again, the bcm and keys do have to be reprogramed. So you will need to get the ven to the dealer to have it reprogramed. No other way to do it. I would leave it all apart, and put the new bcm right at the dealer,then have the keys programed. Make sure you take all of the keys and fobs. All the keys will have to be reprogramed, not sure about the keyfobs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there any way I can tell that I have the right part #

the box says 284B0 5Z000

so the fact that everything seemed to work and the car wanted to turn over but wouldnt start sounds normal to you?

dont want to get to the dealer and then they tell me I have the wrong part and thats why it wont start

I did match it up to the old one and it looks the same from what I can tell

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunetly, I have no way to be sure you have the right part or not. I can tell you that per the service manual the keys and immobilizer have to be reprogrammed. This tells me you are having a normal experience with the engine turning over and not firing. The immobilizer shuts down the fuel injector pulse so the van won't run.