Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

How do I align timing chain marks on a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 V6?

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

I will attach the information to set the timing chain up.

Installation

1. Position crankshaft so that No. 1 piston is set at TDC on compression stroke.

1. Install crankshaft sprocket on crankshaft.
    • Make sure that mating marks on crankshaft sprocket face front of engine.

1. Install lower chain guide on dowel pin, with front mark on the guide facing upside.

1. Press and shrink the secondary chain tensioner sleeve, and fix it using stopper pins.
    • Lubricate threads and seat surfaces of camshaft sprocket bolts with new engine oil.

1. Install secondary timing chain and sprocket to one of the banks (Right bank shown in the figure) as described below.
    1. Align mating marks (golden links) on secondary timing chain with those (punched marks) on the intake and exhaust sprockets.
    2. Align camshaft knock pins with the sprocket groove and hole.
    • Because camshaft sprocket mounting bolts are tightened in step 7, perform manual tightening to the extent necessary to keep camshaft knock pin from dislocating.

• Matching marks of the intake sprocket are on the back side of the secondary sprockets. There are two types of the marks; round and oval types, which should be used for right and left banks respectively. Right bank: Round

Left bank: Oval

• It may be difficult to visually check the dislocation of mating marks during and after installation. To make the matching easier, make a mating mark on the sprocket teeth in advance using paint.

1. Install secondary timing chain and sprocket to the other bank. Install primary timing chain at the same time.
    • Installation of the secondary timing chain follows the procedure described in step 5.
    • Install primary timing chain so that mating mark (punched) on camshaft sprocket is aligned with that (yellow link) on the timing chain, and mating mark (notched) on crankshaft sprocket is aligned with that on the timing chain, respectively.
    • When it is difficult to align mating marks of the primary timing chain with each sprocket, gradually turn the camshaft hexagonal head using a spanner so it is aligned with the mating mark.
    • During alignment, be careful to prevent dislocation of mating marks on the secondary timing chain.

1. After confirming the mating marks are aligned, tighten the camshaft sprocket mounting bolts.
    • Secure the camshaft hexagonal head using a spanner to tighten mounting bolts.

1. Pull out the stopper pin from the secondary timing chain tensioner.

1. Install internal guide.
  2. Install upper tension guide and slack guide.

1. Install timing chain tensioner, then remove the stopper pin.

1. Install O-rings on rear timing chain case.
  2. Apply liquid gasket to front timing chain case.
    • Refer to "POSITION FOR APPLYING LIQUID GASKET".
    • Before installation, wipe off the protruding sealant.
  1. Install rear case pin into dowel pin hole on front timing chain case.

1. Tighten bolts to the specified torque in order shown in the figure.
    • Leave the bolts unattended for 30 minutes or more after tightening.
  1. Install CVTC cover.
    1. Install O-rings at front timing chain case.
    2. Install seal ring at CVTC covers.
    3. Apply liquid gasket to CVTC covers. Use genuine RTV silicone sealant Part No. 999MP-A7007 or equivalent.

• Being careful not to move the seal ring from the installation groove, align the dowel pins on the chain case with the holes to install the CVTC cover.

• Tighten in numerical order as shown in the figure.
  1. Install RH and LH rocker covers. Rocker cover tightening procedure:

1. Tighten bolts 1 to 10 in that order to 6.9 to 8.8 Nm (0.7 to 0.9 kg-m, 61 to 78 inch lbs.).

1. Then tighten bolts 1 to 10 as indicated in figure to 6.9 to 8.8 Nm (0.7 to 0.9 kg-m, 61 to 78 inch lbs.).
    1. Hang engine using the right and left side engine slingers with a suitable hoist.
    2. Set a suitable transmission jack under the suspension member.
    3. Remove right and left side engine mounting nuts.
    4. Remove right and left side suspension member bolts.
    5. Install aluminum oil pan.
    6. Set ring gear stopper using the mounting bolt hole.
    • Be careful not to damage the signal plate teeth.

• Align pointer with TDC mark on crankshaft pulley.
    1. Install crankshaft pulley bolt.
    • Lubricate thread and seat surface of the bolt with new engine oil.

1. Tighten to 39 to 49 Nm (4.0 to 5.0 kg-m, 29 to 36 ft. lbs.).
  2. Put a paint mark on the crankshaft pulley.

1. Again tighten by turning 60°to 66° , about the angle from one hexagon bolt head corner to another.
    1. Install camshaft position sensor (PHASE), crankshaft position sensors (REF)/(POS) and CVTC sensors.
    2. Reinstall removed parts in the reverse order of removal.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    How do I know where to set the camshaft before I set the sprockets on?
    Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
    The first picture. The dowle pins point up.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    where do you acutally align them too?i have all data and mitchell and they both say the same thing but none give me the acutal aligment marks for the cams.
    Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
    This is a starting point on the cams and as you put the gears on and the chain you may need to move them a little. You can't align the cam with anything until the gears are on.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    that dosent make sense to me beacuse you cant put the gears on one by one you have to put it all on together due to you can only put the chain on at the same time you install the gears.do i have to put the gears on with out the chain then align and mark them if so how do you determine where the gold marks will set?
    Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
    I will send your question to the other experts to see if they have any other information to help.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I appreciate that, please advise with any further info.
    Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
    Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Are you lining up all three chains or just the main primary chain?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
    Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
    I am not available during the day to assist you. I am here in the evenings. Just let me know what information you need on setting up the chain or chains.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I need alignment for the camshaft chains,
    Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
    I will be on later this evening around 7 pm EST and give you that information.

Thanks Jay!
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hey Jay,

were u able to find the answer? I haven't heard back from this site but I was charged for the answer. Still waiting.

Thanks

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
    Sorry for the delay. I had some computer issues. Here is the information you need.graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!