Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

1997 nissan altima 2.4 will not start. Distrubator has been

Customer Question

1997 nissan altima 2.4 will not start. Distrubator has been replaced map sensor replaced. Rotor replaced.getting no spark to plugs. getting codes PO100 MAP or BAS also PO 1320. Also PO325 knock sensor. What is the BAS?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

First off, I am not going to ask about the knock sensor. That is a easy enough fix and will not cause the car not to start.

The MAF sensor you mentioned you replaced, did you buy a After Market one? Also, is the coil and power transistor getting power? Do you have spark coming out of the coil to the distributor?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MAF sensor is Nissian also Distribuator is also used. Is the coil & power transistor in the distribuator? If not in distribuator it does not have one. Does not have external coil.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
No, the coil is not part of the distributor and the power transistor is not part of the distributor. You need to check these components. The coil should be next to the distributor, and the power transistor is mounted above the MAF sensor connector.

If you are getting a P0100 after you have replaced the MAF sensor with a Nissan one, do you have the proper voltages to the MAF sensor, have you checked fuses and fusible links?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
fusible links are ok. Its a 1997 limited edition and does not have one located there (coil or power transistor in these locations) Would they be located some where else? No coil wire
at the cap just 4 spark plug wires.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Well according to the Service Manual, you have the coil and you have the transistor. Here is the diagnostic steps for code P1320.graphic

You never did tell me if you checked your voltages at the MAF sensor?

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No did not check volts. Could power control Modular be faulty? The book that I have says it has one but it's not there, (coil or transistor)
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Well, you always check your voltages at sensors. You will need to check your voltages at the MAF sensor to start. Then you need to follow the diagnostic steps to see what is going on with the P1320 code.

You question on why you are not getting spark is because the manual you are using is not giving you the proper information. The 98 Altima has the model with the distributor that has the coil and power transistor. 98 is the new body style Altima, where the 97 is still the first generation body style. Your model has these components and they will need to be checked.

At this point, you may have the wrong distributor, and maybe even the wrong MAF sensor. I would start double checking your parts and your voltages.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The diagrahm that you sent me does not match. the coil is built into the
distribuator. the distribuator cap only has 4 wires to it. how may wire should be hot on this
system? The volts check ok. The rotor is also turning. under the distristribuator there
is a ignition resistor located in the wiring harness below the intake duct also taped together
is a gray electric componat has a large green wire and small yellow wire with red stripe
could you please tell what this is?

The VIN number is XXXXX
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
The information I have on your year car indicates that it's suppose to have a separate coil, where on the 98 is has the coil built into the distributor. Your Vin does prove it's a 97. Can you take a picture of the component you are inquiring on so I can see it. This way I can better assist you.

Thanks Jay!