rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have A 96 nissan pickup with the 2400 engine. It has A misfire

I have A 96 nissan pickup with the 2400 engine. It has A misfire on #4 cylinder between 1000 rpms and 2200 rpms. The compression is 155 psi, fuel pressure is good, injector is good, replaced distributor cap, rotor button, plugs and plug wires. Checked for intake leaks, etc,. Am having no luck at all.

Hi NINVEH1943,

Unplug the EGR valve and see if the misfire is still there. If it is, then you need to do your testing at the speed the misfire is occurring to capture the it. While #4 is the verified one that's missing, try swapping components with #3 for example to see if the misfire moves with the parts. If it doesn't, then there may be a valve train problem.

Thanks for your question and positive feedback,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where is the egr valve located?

Here you go.

Thanks again,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ron, I just unplugged the egr valve and the miss went away. So, do I need to replace the egr valve or what?

It appears that the EGR has either a bad transducer before the valve or the valve is bad. The transducer will allow too much vacuum if it's bad. You only need about 3 inches to open it. That's the hose you took off. If the vacuum is good, then the EGR has a weak return spring in it and then the EGR should be replaced, and it's a DONE DEAL.

Thanks for your support and positive feedback,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the timely response and the expert information and picture. I will be contacting you again if I have other problems. It is great to have an expert with experience help.
Thanks again
Larry from N.C.

You are more than welcome my friend,

Thanks again,