rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  37 years experience

I have A 96 nissan pickup with the 2400 engine. It has A misfire

Customer Question

I have A 96 nissan pickup with the 2400 engine. It has A misfire on #4 cylinder between 1000 rpms and 2200 rpms. The compression is 155 psi, fuel pressure is good, injector is good, replaced distributor cap, rotor button, plugs and plug wires. Checked for intake leaks, etc,. Am having no luck at all.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.

Hi NINVEH1943,

Unplug the EGR valve and see if the misfire is still there. If it is, then you need to do your testing at the speed the misfire is occurring to capture the it. While #4 is the verified one that's missing, try swapping components with #3 for example to see if the misfire moves with the parts. If it doesn't, then there may be a valve train problem.

Thanks for your question and positive feedback,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is the egr valve located?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.

Here you go.

Thanks again,

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ron, I just unplugged the egr valve and the miss went away. So, do I need to replace the egr valve or what?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.

It appears that the EGR has either a bad transducer before the valve or the valve is bad. The transducer will allow too much vacuum if it's bad. You only need about 3 inches to open it. That's the hose you took off. If the vacuum is good, then the EGR has a weak return spring in it and then the EGR should be replaced, and it's a DONE DEAL.

Thanks for your support and positive feedback,

rpmdiag, Diagnostic Expert
Experience: 37 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the timely response and the expert information and picture. I will be contacting you again if I have other problems. It is great to have an expert with experience help.
Thanks again
Larry from N.C.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.

You are more than welcome my friend,

Thanks again,