Joe, Nissan Mechanic
Experience:  23 years auto repair experiance.

2005 nissan murano: The service engine soon light came..wheel drive

Customer Question

I have a 2005 nissan murano. The service engine soon light came on and the all wheel drive light came on, but soon went off. I had auto zone hook it up to the computer and U 1000 was the read out. The tech looked it up and did not find that cade. What is it?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer There is a service bullitan pertaining to this problem. It involves cleaning/tightening the grounds for the ECM. See link

Joe, Nissan Mechanic
Experience: 23 years auto repair experiance.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using

That bulletin rarely works. I have dealt with it allot and found a different issue.

The Code U1000 is a Can system code. The Can system is a communicate connection between all the control units of the car. There is probably 5 or 6 control units in your car. The Can system requires a special diagnostic steps which involves communicating with all the control units. Most code readers will not be able to do this. You will need a advanced level scanner to perform the can diagnostic steps to determine where the communication problem is. Since that code means there is a communication issue between control units.

The only other thing I would check that I have seen cause a U1000 code, is open the drivers door. Where the door hinge area is, there are 3 plastic caps. Remove those caps and see if the 12 mm bolts behind there are loose. Make sure they are good and snug. If loose, tighten and disconnect the negative battery cable for 10 mins to clear light. If the light returns then you have a hard code, and will need to have the advanced level scanner used to determine the cause.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, Joe. My daughter was driving the car when all this happened. She said the car looses power when accelerating as well.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.