Ask Infiniti Nissan Specialist Your Own Q...
Infiniti Nissan Specialist
Infiniti Nissan Specialist, ASE master technician
Experience:  Infiniti Nissan specialist. ASE Master technician. 25+ years general automotive experience

1998 Nissan Sentra: power water pump..removing..pulley

1998 Nissan Sentra 1.6 -- I need to re-install the drive belt (power steering/ water pump belt). I replaced my water pump, so I did not remove it the normal way because I was removing the WP pulley anyway and the belt just came off with the pulley. Everything is back in place except this belt. So I am not sure how to loosen up a [which] pulley (or what) to get the darn thing back on??
Hi there, to move the tensioners you'll have to first loosen the lock nuts on the front of the tensioners. I've included a picture below that has arrows pointing at the lock nuts and adjusters. Once you loosen the front lock nuts, turn the adjustment bolts until you have enough slack to remove the belts. Install belts and tighten them very snug and run the engine for a few minutes, then re-adjust as necessary. You want very little movement on the longest span of the belt or it will slip. Clockwise to tighten, counterclockwise to loosen.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HI, I did as indicated. I believe the power steering pump is stuck from old age. Locking nut and bolt are very loose but the pulley/ pump won't budge. I whacked it with a mallet and loosened the pivot bolt on the other end of the adjustment arm for the power steering pump, but it just won't move at all. Please advise.
I usually pull the belt and this causes it to move the pump, but since you've already removed the belt you'll have find a pry point and use a large pry bar to carefully move it. Sometimes rotating the engine over with a 1/2" ratchet and socket will allow you to rotate the belt on the pulleys. Start the belt on the crankshaft and then partially on the P/S pulley and then slowly rotate it on.