Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Nissan altima: the famous belt rattle with the a/c on at idles.. is

hi i have 05 nissan altima 2.5 that has the famous belt rattle with the a/c on at idles.. is there a fix for it. it is very annoying thanks
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Belt rattle is not a normal condition since it's a auto tensioner applying tension to the belt. If you have a rattle, I would look around for where the rattle is from. The belt always looks like it's rattling, if you have a rattle with the AC on, it could be a rattle from the Ac compressor.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well i can see it flapping around when a/c is on around by the auto tensioner it is more of a flapping and vibration sound then a rattle i guess. it only does it at idle and in gear..if you rev over 1,000 rpm noise is gone
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
It is normal for that belt to flap, especially with the Ac on, since it's more of a load. They all do that. If it's the noise you are hearing, maybe the belt is glazed or stretched or slightly worn. If you verified the noise is from the belt, try replacing it. But expect it to vibrate still.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello i found out there is a one -way pulley on the alternator.. do you have any info on how to test it.. thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
There is no way I know to test it. I know that there is a clutch on it, like a fan clutch, so when you turn the car off, you may hear it still spin for a few. It could be possible that the bearing in the alternator may be making some noise. I would pop the belt off it, and fell it. Keep in mind, it has a clutch to it, so when you grab it to spin it, you will feel it.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello it was the alt pulley seems that if it locks up the belt will flap and make a noise, i changed my pulley and now it spins in one dir. uncouples or free spins in in the reverse direction
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Glad you got it. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com.

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer