Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2005 nissan pathfinder se: my front not ac

Customer Question

my front vents in my 2005 nissan pathfinder se is not blowing out any air, what could it be. i thought my ac needed to be recharged and i did that it didnt help what next. can you help
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
HI there! Do you have the auto climate control or the manual control?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
manaul control
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, is it blowing air out of other areas like the defrost? Or no air at all?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no the defrost works, the back air vents works, just when i try to put on the ac or heat for the front it blows out nothing
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK. This sounds like a possible problem with the mode door actuator. You will have to get under the dash and work the dial for floor to defrost and see if you can see the mode door motor actually moving the levers. It sounds like one of them has stopped working. This could be a problem with the heater box itself, or one of the mode door motors.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok sounds good but could it be anything else, when i called firestone last night the rep mention it could be a relay switch or something like that, ut is there anything else i should look into
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
I have to say that there really isn't much else it could be. This is because the switch is working on other settings. You might want to contact the dealer and find out if this is a common problem. There mey be a TSB to help diagnose the problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what is a tsb, can you explain a little more what a mode door actuator is, i apologize ive never heard of this before
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
A TSB is a technical service bulletin. This is something the factory puts out when there is a common problem to help techs diagnose the issue quicker.
A mode door actuator, it the motor that moves the door so the air changes direction. Like when you move it to defrost, the mode door motor moves the deflector inside to a different position so the air will come out the defrost instead of the floor vents.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if the problem is the mode auctator, do you have any idea what a pricing would be to replace this part? is it anything like replacing a motor
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
I can only guess. Itis likely around $200 for the part plus labor to instell it. It is not like the motor on the truck, it is just a small electric motor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hello, have you forgotten about me, i was reading up on this mode door motor and found that in most cars it is associated with the pcm to control the activation of the a/c clutch colling fan is that correct
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
It can be a problem with the control head, but I don't think it will be because you are working on other modes.
I am not sure why you may have thought I forgot about you,? I have replied to every question?
The ecm controlds the compressor, but it sounds like the problem is air flow out of the vents
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

sorry for that i rec'd your eesponse to the last question after it was already sent, i know you havent forgotten about me and yes you have answered every question i have ask and i do appreciate it

okay last question where would i purchase this mode door motor from i have looked at advance autoparts but no look where should i look for it at

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
I think this will be a dealer only item. I would also suggest having it properly diagnosed as I could be wrong. I am not there to actually try and diagnose it for you:)