Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2002 Nissan Maxima: the lock on the drivers side door will no unlock

I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima. Today, the lock on the driver's side door will no unlock. I cannot open my driver's side door. The automatic lock will lock and unlock all other doors, but it will not unlock my driver's side door.

Even when I manually unlock it, the door will still not open. Just wondering what might be wrong?? And possible quote (if you know) how much it might approx be to get fixed.

Hello and thank you for using

Just so I am clear, manually locking and unlocking the drivers door does not work. The door is still locked. Besides the power lock not working for that door also. Correct?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, manually unlocking the door does not work. The door stays locked. The power lock will not work to unlock the driver's side door. The power lock button, unlocks and locks all the other doors.

When I put the key in the driver's side door, it just turns, but does not unlock the door.

When my key is kept in the door, it will automatically unlock all the other doors and all the windows will still go down, just not unlock the driver's side door.
Hmm. The best way to see what is going on is to get the drivers door panel off and take a peak at it's operation. It sounds like you may need a latch assembly and possibly a door lock actuator. The latch assembly may have internally jammed or sized and that is why you can't get it open. This is just a guess since I am not there to physically inspect the door lock operation. The tricky part is to get the door panel off with the door closed. You do run some risks to damaging the panel possibly cause of the door not being able to open.

The latch assembly is around 120 bucks and you may be looking around 2 to 3 hours labor. Thats if the latch is sized or internally jammed. If it's just a matter of a few rods being knocked off, it could be an hour to 2 hours labor.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!