Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Battery went dead..Have tried jumping and charging battery

Customer Question

Left ignition on over night and naturally battery went dead. Have tried jumping and charging battery. Tries to start but can't get it to turn over. Battery is only a couple of months old. What is wrong?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Often times batteries do not like to be fully discharged, and will fail when that happens. To start I suggest to take the battery to the place that you purchaced it from, They can test it. If its ok, reinstall it and a diagnosis will have to continue. But if the battery died, you should be under warranty.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the battery is only one day old, my wife who sent the first message left the key in the on position over night. the battery is fully charged and turns the engine over with no problem. it acts as if it is getting no fuel

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Im sorry but I dont think I can help you any further without seeing the car in person
I am opting out of this question so that other experts can see it and respond if they
have any further information for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can it be flooded and if so what do I do then
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
HI there! I am goiung to take over the question for Mike as he doesn't have the time at the moment and doesn't want to leave you hanging out there.
I have a question for you. Can you give me the status of the security light? Is it on steady or flashing normal ? What does it do when you turn the car over. Let me know! Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it blinks as normal until you turn the engine over and then it stays on as long as the engine is turning over..............Thanks

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
OK, you have a security issue. The keys may need to be reprogrammed. If so, the dealer is the only one who can do that. Here is the steps for getting the car out of lockout mode. I am not sure if you are in lockout or will need the keys reprogramed. If you have a spare key use it for this procedure. The light should go out while you are crankiong the car. Hope this helps! Thanks
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do i get to that screen and do i use the ignition key for this
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Use the ignition key yes, and only do the part that is circled. The screen you are seeing is for a scan tool, not the screen on the car. The circled part is how to do it without the scan tool
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The light still stays on while turning the engine over and still the car will not start
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
The car will not start as long as that light is on. You will need to have the chip keys reprogrammed by the dealer. The immobiliser has shut the car down. Sorry, I was hoping it was just in lockout mode and we could get you out of it, but since the key was in the ignition it likely scrambled all the codes. Worth a shot though
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the key was not in the ignition over night
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
OK, I rechecked the service manual and there is no other way to register the key then using the consult III scan tool.The fact that the light is on means there is a problem, and even if the key wans't in the ignition, it probably lost the back up power to the BCM which is in charge of storing the codes. I really hate to say this but I see no alternative then getting the car and the keys to the dealership
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help, you have been of great assistance.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Sorry we couldn't get it going and thanks for the accept! You are very welcome!