Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician

1996 Nissan Sentra: oil and will smoke out exhaust when idling

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Nissan Sentra, It's using oil and will smoke out exhaust when idling for a period really bad. I when to dealer to check on Valve Guide Rubbers but they say they don't carry them. He ( Parts Person ) never heard of the rubbers needing to be replaced. Is there any other cause of why it would act like this. There is only 86 K / 47 M on engine. It was purchased new in 1996.

I await your reply and thank you in advance. Ken
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

If it smokes after warmed up this would be oil rings or a restricted PCV valve I have also seen the valve cover pcv seal leak and cause to burn oil, I would replace the valve cover gasket and pcv seal under the valve cover first, to make sure it is not just something simple like that. Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!