Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

1997 nissan maxima: the fuel pump relay..clicking..fuses..cranks

Where is the fuel pump relay located on a 1997 nissan maxima? It seems that the fuel pump is not getting any current and I don't hear any relays clicking. Checked all fuses, links, battery starter cranks very good. I really suspect the fuel pump relay. Or check it out before tearing out the fuel pump. Is there only one relay not like the 280Z where there's two? The car was running perfectly then it parked for more than about six months due to job assignment.

Thanks a lot,
Roy

OK!

Here is the location of the relay and electrical dia, and also the control module, Thanks let me know if you have more questions, ROY!graphicgraphicgraphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can a diagnostic scanner (OBD2)pin point this no start problem just by cranking the engine? Any recomendation on the not too expensive brand? Or this scanners are only good for emissions?

HI!

The scanner will only give you a stored code for a failed part, unless you get a good scan tool to monitor all the sensor operation they are real expensive , will not show relay operation or fuel pump, Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The fuel pump relay is ok but noticed that the PCM's led lights are not on bothe the red and green lights unlike both of my pathfinders that when you turn the key to the ON position (without starting) the lights comes on. Is there a separate fuse for this? How do I check the PCM? Are they all the same or can I interchange them just for testing?
The are different ,the best way to check it is with a scan tool to see if you have comunication with it if not the ecm could be bad, if you have checked all your fuses on both sides with a test light this is the best way to check them with the key on , Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Roy,
Still won't start...
NO SPARK AT ALL..
James believes it is the ignition switch.
Could you please resend me (the third) image where it shows the location of fuel pump relay, etc. under the instrument panel driver side? Just want to see the rest of the call outs of those other items. It was not printed.

OK!

Here are all the relays let me know if you need any more pics,graphicgraphic Thanks ROY! you will still need to check for failure codes in the ECM to check all sensors.