Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

1994 Pathfinder XE: engine light

engine light on in my 1994 Pathfinder XE 2WD. Is there a way to check why this is on myself?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

There is a way, but it's very tricky. There is diagnostic screw on the Ecm under the passenger seat. There are 5 modes and you have to put it in diag mode and count the blinks. I don't have the info available to go into full details till I get home tonight. If you would like me to try to walk you through it, just let me know. I will be on later this evening around 7 pm EST.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Jay,

It would be great if you could walk me through this process. When I get the number of blinks, how do I determine what is wrong? Is there a site I can go to that has the number of blinks represents "such and such" a problem.Cool I will "talk" to you later tonight.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
I have the code list home. Once you count the blinks and give me the code, I could tell you what code you have. Remember it's a tricky. If you let it go to mode 5 it will clear the code so it's important to pay attention and understand it fully before you attempt it.

Talk to you later this evening. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. I will make sure that I understand fully before I try. Thanks for having the codes and providing me with the info once I count the blinks.

Talk to you later tonight. Nancy
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
I just got home. I have the information for you. I figured I would give you the information so you can read it and locate the diag screw on the Ecm under the passenger seat. Normally if you slide the seat all the way forward and put the seat back all the way up, you can access it easier. If you ECM still has the black cover on it, I think it just lifts off, I forget. In any case, here is the steps to check for the code.graphicgraphic

When I am done with dinner, I will continue to assist you. If you already did the check and have the code, then when I get back I will decode it for you.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I removed the cover, turned the screw clockwise and it flashed once, then twice, then three times, then four times, then five times---then returned back to once. I don't understand what I did wrong.

Nancy
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Well, you did what I didn't want you to do. After it flashes once, turn the screw counter clock wise to that mode. Since you went through all 5 modes, you now cleared the code. Now you will just need to start the car and drive it to see if the code returns. There are 5 modes, once you get into each mode, you need to turn the diag screw counter clock wise to hold that mode. then clock wise to go into the next mode, then counter clock wise to hold that mode. The directions are not real good at describing that.

So lets take the truck for a ride around the block and see if the light comes back on.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How far counter clockwise do I turn the screw to hold that mode (what will the lights do to show me that the screw is in the correct place) and what am I looking for when the mode is held? There is small wording "diag" just a little counter clockwise from completely clockwise. Is this were I need to turn to?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Once the ECM blinks once, turn the screw fully counter clock wize and watch to see if you have any more flashs. If you do, then count them. If you don't then turn it clock wise again to go into the next mode, after it flashs 2 time, turn counter clock wize to hold the mode and so on till you go to mode 5.

Do you under stand?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, now I understand. I drove the truck for several miles but I can not get the check engine light to come back on.

Is there a way that I can contact YOU when the light comes back on so I can do the test correctly and get the answer from you?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Actually, this is what I can do. Since you now know how to check for codes, I will give you the code list. This way, when the light comes on again, you can check it and know what code you have so you know what kind of repair may be needed. Here is the list.graphic

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do the numbers on the list mean? Are they the number of blinks? Is it the number of blinks in one mode or a combination of modes? Can there be more than one repair at one time or do I fix one repair and wait for the light to come back on again. Sorry that I am not getting this more quickly.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Not a problem. The codes are the number of blinks. For example lets say you have a code 32. The light will flash 3 times, then 2 times, then it may blink 3 times for the mode and then blink the code again. So it will blink for the first number, then pause for a second, and blink for the second number.

Got it now?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got it!!!!!!! Thank you for being so patient and providing me with the codes so I can fix my truck. You have been extremely helpful and patient.

I will definately use Just Answer again.

Nancy