Ask Infiniti Nissan Specialist Your Own Q...
Infiniti Nissan Specialist
Infiniti Nissan Specialist, ASE master technician
Experience:  Infiniti Nissan specialist. ASE Master technician. 25+ years general automotive experience
6946944

Why does my car turn off after I turn on the air condition

Why does my car turn off after I turn on the air conditioner?
hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX will try to help you
can you please explain a little more

thanks

don
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a 2002 nissan altima, the car runs good but I notice that when I turn on my air conditioner and I come to a stop sign the car turns off. I can easily turn the car back on but as long as the air conditioner is on it keeps doing the same thing. The (service engine soon) light has been on but I really can't afford to take my car in just to get checked and be charged so much for it. Can you give me an idea of what it could be... Please help I live in CA in over 100 degree weather and I hate to take my kids in the car with me in this heat.
hi there
thanks for that information you are in the wrong catagory i am sorry i cannot answer that i will have to transfer you first to the right one don
hi there i have transfered you to the nissan questions section they experts there will be able to help you

have a great night
don
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
some one please help...
Hi does the engine run well without the air conditioning on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It runs good, but I have noticed that when I get to 65mph speed and to 75 mph it kind of jerks a little but keeps running..
A surge/jerk can be symptom of an engine misfire. Air conditioning is essentially adding more load and will amplify any existing problem your engine already has. It's possible the air conditioning compressor is causing excessive drag on the engine (compressor failing), this can be checked by removing the belt and spinning the compressor by hand. It should spin freely and firmly, if it's very hard then this will cause a stall. The engine light needs to be addressed first though, many auto parts stores will check the code for free which will give us a direction for diagnosis. Many Auto Zones will do this for you. Call the Nissan dealer and make sure you have no recalls outstanding. They are free and many times they will address the problem you are having. Crankshaft sensors failing will cause your problem and have been recalled on your vehicle.
Experience: Infiniti Nissan specialist. ASE Master technician. 25+ years general automotive experience