CJ, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician - 24 yrs. Experience

My car is making a roaring noise when I accelerate at high

Customer Question

My car is making a roaring noise when I accelerate at high speeds. It seems that if I am coasting (at say 50 mph or so) and than apply gas to pass a car it makes a roaring type noise that almost sounds like the engine is revved in neutral. It does it for a little bit but than stops. It does not appear to do it any other time or at lower speeds. However, I did notice it when it was going up hill at one point. Seems to be making the noise when the car is exerting the most force. any suggestions? Differential? Heat Shield? Trying to determine whether to bring to local mechanic or to dealer (still covered under powertrain warranty)
Category: Nissan
Expert:  CJ replied 7 years ago.
do you have a manual transmission or automatic?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Expert:  CJ replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like the transmission may be slipping, if you still have warranty left on the powertrain I would take it to the dealer. It sounds like a transmission issue.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It seems as though there isnt a loss of power, but rather that noise appearing. Also I should of mentioned that if I accelerate smoothly it will go through all the gears without making the noise. Almost seems that liek when I put in passing gear it happens. Does this change any of the diagnosis? Thansk again for your help
Expert:  CJ replied 7 years ago.

a lot of times a transmission will slip under heavier loads, but not under light acceleration. I still say from your description it may have a transmission concern. If you have warranty left you need to have the dealer at least drive with you and verify your concern to find out if it's something you can get covered.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Issue was stemming from heat shield vibration.
Expert:  CJ replied 7 years ago.
okay, glad you got it worked out