Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

1998 Altima: plastic gas door lever broke on my daughter..door open

The plastic gas door lever broke on my daughter's 1998 Altima and now she cannot open her gas door. Is it just a matter of getting a replacement and installing it on the lever? Also, how should she get her gas door open in the meantime?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

There is really not much you can do other then remove the fuel door lever and use a pair of pliars to pull cable you should also be able to pull cable without removing lever. You will have to get this part directly from the dealership to replace or get one used from a local salvage yard. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So a replacement plastic cover just slides onto the release lever and solves this issue?

Also, if she pulls the cable with a pair of pliers how does she open the door versus open the trunk?

Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

You will need to replace the lever assembly which is simple, just 2 bolts. But in the meantime to open the trunk vs door. There are two different cables one for the trunk and one for the door. She would just need to pull whatever one is necessary or just use the key to open trunk. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks again.

If the trunk lid will not open with the inside trunk release lever, use the key to open the trunk. Make sure the valet switch (if so equipped) is pulled all the way up (see Figure 1). If it is down, pull it up and try the lever again.