Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

2005 Nissan Pathfinder: fan belt..loud squealing noise..new belt

Customer Question

Have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with 60000 miles that is on it's sixth fan belt due to making a loud squealing noise.Has had a new belt tighter put on and it hasn't helped. I am sick of buying belts and installing both by my Nissian dealer and myself! Any idea how to resolve this issue weth the fanbelt??
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

HI!

There is a bulletin for the repair of the belt noise if you have replaced the belts and tensioner, the angle of the belt could be off , the dealer can adjust the belt angle of the power steering pump to fix the problem, Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!

graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Your reply about the belt noise may or may not be the problem--one thing that I forgot to mention is that the squeeling doesn't start until after we have driven around 3000 miles with a new belt. The first couple thousand miles it seems fine.

Also, the belt does not seem to be tight enough compared to the other vehicles that I own. And it appears that the back side of the belt is being glazed by the fan belt pulley.

Applying belt dressing does not help--we've tried that.

Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

OK!

Applying dressing does not help some times makes it worse, if you have a factory belt and tensioner , the tensioner sets the correct pressure for the belt, there is a new style tensioner with a new belt to fix the problem,it is in the bulletin at the dealer, with the pulley inspection when we do these repairs, it will fix the problem I have repaired a lot of these for belt noise. I hope this helps ,Thanks ROY!