Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician

2005 Nissan Pathfinder: fan belt..loud squealing noise..new belt

Customer Question

Have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with 60000 miles that is on it's sixth fan belt due to making a loud squealing noise.Has had a new belt tighter put on and it hasn't helped. I am sick of buying belts and installing both by my Nissian dealer and myself! Any idea how to resolve this issue weth the fanbelt??
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

There is a bulletin for the repair of the belt noise if you have replaced the belts and tensioner, the angle of the belt could be off , the dealer can adjust the belt angle of the power steering pump to fix the problem, Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!

graphic
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Nissan Master technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Your reply about the belt noise may or may not be the problem--one thing that I forgot to mention is that the squeeling doesn't start until after we have driven around 3000 miles with a new belt. The first couple thousand miles it seems fine.

Also, the belt does not seem to be tight enough compared to the other vehicles that I own. And it appears that the back side of the belt is being glazed by the fan belt pulley.

Applying belt dressing does not help--we've tried that.

Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

OK!

Applying dressing does not help some times makes it worse, if you have a factory belt and tensioner , the tensioner sets the correct pressure for the belt, there is a new style tensioner with a new belt to fix the problem,it is in the bulletin at the dealer, with the pulley inspection when we do these repairs, it will fix the problem I have repaired a lot of these for belt noise. I hope this helps ,Thanks ROY!