Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My speedometer and odometer are not turning/moving...speed sensor

My speedometer and odometer are not turning/moving. Is it the speed sensor?
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

There is one of 2 things that will cause the speedometer not to work. First thing is the speed sensor in the trans. It is located in the transfer case. You would need to remove it and test it to see if it puts out AC volts when turned. If it does, then most likely it's a speedometer it's self. Also check the plastic gear on the speed sensor in the trans. Make sure it's not worn or broken. That also will keep the sensor from operating.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
-
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have a tester, and will not be removing the speed sensor myself. I just want to know is it most likely the speed sensor, the speedometer cable, or the instrument panel. The odometer and speedometer on the instrument panel were not working on the previous Pathfinder, and replacing the speed sensor took care of the problem. With this one, the speedometer and odometer are not working, which leads me to believe that it is the same thing. If the speedometer cable is not working, then the odometer would not be affected, right?
If the odometer is not working and the speedometer, then it sounds more like the speedometer it's self may be bad. But it's going to be one or the other. It's either going to be a sensor or a speedometer. There is not cable.

Thanks Jay!