Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

nissan xterra: transmission has shudder..problem went away

I have a 06 nissan xterra and the transmission has shudder in over drive. So i changed the oil and noticed it was milky looking. The problem went away for about a month, So now it seems to be over heating the fluid. Its not registering as over heating on the gauge in the car but you open the hood and here a boiling sound. I let the car cool some and the problem got better ,but I still changed the fluid and filter again and it runs fine. So could a breath,check valve, or something be stoped up.
Hello and thank you for using

How many miles on your truck?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
106,000 farm miles
Darn. Well I hate to be the one to tell you this. Most likely what has happened is that the trans cooler that is part of the radiator has broken and is allowing coolant into the trans. I would get that radiator out of the truck ASAP and then if you can, drain and fill the trans a few times and hope for the best.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!