Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2004 Frontier: 4cyl..with air; Check engine light..Overheating..Amp

2004 Frontier crew cab 4cyl auto with air;
Check engine light on, code PO217 Engine Overheating condition
read from two different scanners. Is this related to the Thermal Control
Amp? AC has been blowing warm this week, sometimes. Engine Temp.
gauge displays normal temp range, coolant is less than two years
old and levels stay topped off. Trying to determine how bad this could be.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there! This code is for the engine coolant temp being to high. It is not related to the fan control amp at all. The fan control amp is for the blower inside the truck. You need to check the coolant and make sure there are no air pockets. That is what is the most common problem. Also, see if this only occurs when you use the a/c. If the cooling fins on the radiator and a/c condensor are full of dirt and bugs it could be slowing the air flow down. This could cause the a/c to be warm because it isn't cooling the freon, when this happens the coolant can get to hot as well. HERE is a list of the causes for this code. Hope this helps! Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Check engine lamp came on nine days ago and is on always,
AC off, Engine cold, Radiator unobstructed. Have not owned truck
four months yet, should I make plans to replace?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
I think I would start by replacing the thermostat and then filling the truck up with fresh coolant. If you have to keep topping off the coolant though, then there is likely a leak and an air pocket, when the air pocket gets to the temp sensor it will throw the code. If you look through the passenger side inner fender at the side of the block you might see a sign of a leak. Right behind the alternator that is the most common place.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.