marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Experience:  i-car/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision 18 yrs exp licensed adjuster

Knock sensor on my 2002 nissan maxima and can i easily replace it?

Customer Question

where is the knock sensor on my 2002 nissan maxima and can i easily replace it?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  marcpod replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to just answer. There is nothing easy about doing this. If you accept this please hit the green payment tab. Bouses are always appreciated. Thank you.

NOTE: Nissan does not provide specific instructions for knock sensor replacement. The knock sensor is installed in the top, center of the engine block. Access can be gained by removing the intake manifold.

1. Drain engine oil.
  2. Release fuel presure
  3. Drain coolant by removing cylinder block drain plugs and radiator drain cock.
  4. Remove left side rocker cover ornament.
  5. Remove air duct to intake manifold, collector, blow-by hose, vacuum hoses, fuel hoses, wires, harness, connectors, etc.

1. Remove the following hoses: Vacuum hoses, Water hoses, Canister purge hose, Blow-by hose

1. Remove RH and LH ignition coils.

1. Remove EGR guide tube.

1. Remove intake manifold collector supports and intake manifold collector (RH cylinder head only).

1O.Remove fuel tube assembly.

1. Remove intake manifold.

1. Install intake manifold. Torque intake manifold bolts and nuts in order to 4-7 ft. lbs ., then torque bolts to 14-18 ft. lbs . and nuts to 16-20 ft. lbs .
  2. Install fuel tube assembly.

1. Install intake manifold collector gasket, with its front mark facing forwards.
  2. Install intake manifold collector, supports and intake manifold collector bolt.
  3. Install EGR guide tube.
  4. Install RH and LH ignition coils.
  5. Install rocker cover ornament on left side.

1. Install crankshaft pulley to crankshaft.
(a)Tighten to 20 to 29 N.m (2.0 to 3.0 kg-m, 14 to 22 ft-lb).
(b)Put a paint mark on the crankshaft pulley.
(c)Again tighten by turning 60°to 66°, about the angle from one hexagon bolt head corner to another.

1. Install camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensors.
  2. Reinstall removed parts in reverse order of removal.

Note : After installing the tensioner, race the engine at about 3,000 rpm under no load to purge air from the high-pressure chamber. The engine may produce a rattling noise. This indicates that air still remains in the chamber and is not a matter of concern.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So the only way to reach the sensor is by removing the intake manifold? is there any diagram of where the sensor is located?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The knock sensor can be accessed by removing the air flow equipment on the right side of the engine. You're able to reach between the fuel rails into the engine block. It is held in by one top-mounted bolt. It doesn't require removal of the intake as you described. I found this myself while waiting for your answer.