Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

rpm, and fuel gauge is not working..controls..air conditioner

My speedometer, rpm, and fuel gauge is not working on my car. Whatever this is also controls the air conditioner becomes it is also not coming on. My turning signal inside the car also is not working. It all started 2 days ago came back on and then went off again. I have a 2006 Nissan Maxxma. Please help someone!

Damsel In Distress
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Do you place change by your display screen?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No never.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Also I smelled a slight burning smell when driving and when I pull off it feels like its pulling and then drive fine. On the screen reads slip, tcms off, brake, and abs.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Most cases, when the ac controls stop working and the instrument cluster doesn't work properly is because of the Unified meter control unit. The Ac controls goes through this control unit also. Most of the time when it fails is because of change put by the display screen, and change falls into the control unit shorting it out. I would have this control unit checked since is controls everything you are listing. Here is the bulletin on what I am talking about also.graphic

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
About how much is this going to cost me to get repaired? What about the slight pulling and burn smell does that control that aso?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
The burning smell is when the controler gets shorted. It actually can melt the circuit board inside. The control unit is around 180 to 200 bucks and may cost around 1 to 2 hours labor.

Here is a link online if you verify that this is the problem that sells the control unit you need.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/amplifier-p-320773.html

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Another question also where is the unified meter located?

Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
It is located right under the display screen.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is it safe to drive...I couldnt get an appointment until monday?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
I would try to drive it as least as possible. You don't want any more electrical damage to occur.

Thanks Jay!