ase_master327, Shop owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Nissans. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

I have a 95 Nissan Pathfinder with an automatic transmission

I have a 95 Nissan Pathfinder with an automatic transmission that will NOT go in reverse. The forward gears all work good. Any ideas as to the problem, and/or anything I can do or check before getting a new transmission or an overhaul. Since the car is so old, I don't want to put a lot of money into a transmission. (Also, I noticed a question on line on "blurt It" by a person with the same year model Pathfinder with the same problem, so it might be something common to the transmission used in that model that year?)
Hello and thank you for choosin gJust Answer!

There are no 'common problems' like this on the Pathfinder.. But there is a common problem that applies to all transmissions whern this happens,, and that would be a problem with the transmission position sensor.. That is what tells the computer what gear the selector is in, so it can activate solenoids and such as necessary. So, I would start with that, and if not.. Then reverse is just gone... which is ALSO a common problem. Even though, I KNOW that is something you're not even trying to hear... it is still a possibility.

Here is where I would start, with it.. if no problems are found there.. it will need to go to a transmission shop for a proper diagnosis:

Hope it helps!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not the answer I hoped for, but I'll try diagnosing the inhibitor switch, before taking to a transmission shop.

One easy question, does NG in the diagnosis mean "No Good" or something else

Yeah, you were probably hoping for a fuse or something? I wish it were that easy, too...
Yes you are correct..
NG means No Good

If the engine light is on, a place like AutoZone can read the codes for you for free.. and then you can come back let me know right here on this question.. and we have a bit more to go on. Smile The codes look like P0123 or similar.