ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Nissans. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

I have a 95 Nissan Pathfinder with an automatic transmission

I have a 95 Nissan Pathfinder with an automatic transmission that will NOT go in reverse. The forward gears all work good. Any ideas as to the problem, and/or anything I can do or check before getting a new transmission or an overhaul. Since the car is so old, I don't want to put a lot of money into a transmission. (Also, I noticed a question on line on "blurt It" by a person with the same year model Pathfinder with the same problem, so it might be something common to the transmission used in that model that year?)
Category: Nissan
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosin gJust Answer!

There are no 'common problems' like this on the Pathfinder.. But there is a common problem that applies to all transmissions whern this happens,, and that would be a problem with the transmission position sensor.. That is what tells the computer what gear the selector is in, so it can activate solenoids and such as necessary. So, I would start with that, and if not.. Then reverse is just gone... which is ALSO a common problem. Even though, I KNOW that is something you're not even trying to hear... it is still a possibility.

Here is where I would start, with it.. if no problems are found there.. it will need to go to a transmission shop for a proper diagnosis:
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic

Hope it helps!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not the answer I hoped for, but I'll try diagnosing the inhibitor switch, before taking to a transmission shop.

One easy question, does NG in the diagnosis mean "No Good" or something else

Yeah, you were probably hoping for a fuse or something? I wish it were that easy, too...
Yes you are correct..
NG means No Good

If the engine light is on, a place like AutoZone can read the codes for you for free.. and then you can come back let me know right here on this question.. and we have a bit more to go on. Smile The codes look like P0123 or similar.
ase_master327, Shop owner
Experience: +15 years experience with Nissans. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.