AMEDEE
AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL PERFORMANCE. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1993 Nissan pathfinder: cranking..mechanic put in 5 new starters

I have a 1993 Nissan pathfinder. The starter wasn't cranking the engine...just a click. A mechanic put in 5 new starters over a period of 2 weeks. Each was dead within 2 days. These were all rebuilt starters, but from different manufacturers. The mechanic is stumped and my truck is currently not running.   What next? Advice?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

After the starters are put in, does the engine start?

How many amps is the starter pulling?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes. the engine does start initially. After one or 2 days the starter doesn't work anymore.
I don't know how many amps it is pulling.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Well, to diagnose this problem properly, this would be the next step. There could be a few different things that is causing this problem.

ALso, lets do a voltage drop on both the positive and negative circuit when the starter is in use... (cranking).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you do a voltage drop? not clear to me
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Here is a very good article.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The battery terminals have been cleaned this week and the ends replaced (i believe my mechanic must have considered this problem already).
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Well there is much more to the circuit from the battery to the starter then just the battery terminals.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i just called the mechanic and he said they did the voltage drop test and it is fine. They tested it and said it is definitely the starter motor that is not working.
Is there something that could be killing starters?
I hesitate to spend the $500 on parts and labor to put in another starter only to have that not work either. The mechanic is telling me that a new starter from Nissan (instead of a rebuilt one) will solve the problem. But why have 5 starters not worked? Is there somewhere else to look?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

If the voltage drop test is fine and there is not high amps being pulled from the starter, the only thing it could be is simple a bad starter. I would have them warranty the starter rather than pay for a starter from Nissan.

The only else I can think of is if the motor is starting to lock and causing the starter motors to burn out. But then again, this will show up on a amperage draw test.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

DId you have any further questions?

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE

AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL PERFORMANCE. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector