Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

1999 Nissan Altima GXE wont start. Battery is fine, ignition

1999 Nissan Altima GXE won't start. Battery is fine, ignition switch is fine. Mechanic at Midas told me that it had something to do with my security system fuse missing. They put a new fuse in and the alarm starting freaking out. They said it won't start because of security reasons. They want to put a push start button in it. Is this legitimate? Any other suggestions?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
HI there! Does the car turn over? I mean crank and just won't start? Also, is the security light on the dash blinking or on solid?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't notice the security light on at all. I try to turn it on and all the lights in the dash turn on like normal but nothing when i start it.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK. I have more questions for you. When you turn the key, do you get any clicking at all? Or just flat out nothing. Also, when the car started before it was without a fuse in the security system right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What do you mean by clicking? Like a constant clicking? One click? When I first start it, it makes kind of a click noise but that is everything turning on and getting ready to work. I bought this car in January and as far as I know it didn't have a fuse in it because I haven't messed with the fuses.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK. Normally you will here a click when the starter engages or tries to.Like if you have a weak battery and you try to start it you will here one click. Hope that makes sense. It will tell me if you are at least getting power to the starter. This could mean the circut is good. I am pretty sure it is not a security issue if the car was running without a fuse in there before. I am just trying to determine the possible problems with the circut.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well the guys at midas tested the starter. They raised it up in the air, started poking around underneath, and the car tried starting while he was underneath it. Like, he was making it turn over from underneath so he said it wasn't the starter...I can't go figure out the clicks because Midas still has it :(
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK. Call midas and ask them to put a jumper wire on the clutch saftey switch. They need to jump the black and red wire with the black, then hit the key. This will bypass the neutral saftey switch on the clutch and the car may crank. If they are getting nothing at the starter then this could be the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They said that they tried that already and it tried starting.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
well, that indicates that either the switch is no good or there may be a plug on the clutch pedal that is missing or has broken off. Some of them had a plastic plug on the pedal for pushing or releasing the switch. Does not sound like they need to install a starter button, just a new saftey switch,
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.