Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2000 nissan maxima: runs rough..cuts..check engine light..accelerate

My 2000 nissan maxima runs rough during the warm up drive and past 3500 rpm cuts out to red line with loss of power. The check engine light does come on and it does throw code on the anaylzer. It runs smooth after warm up unless you try to accelerate. At 3500 rpm it misses. Please help!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using

What codes do you have?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Doesn't throw any codes. Shows normal. The service engine warning light isn't coming on to show a problem,
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Oh, I thought you said it does throw a code. Since it doesn't I would find a clear glass bottle. Make sure it's empty and clean. Then disconnect a fuel line and put a feed into the bottle. Then turn the key till you fill the bottle. After you let the bottle sit for about 10 mins, let me know the color, and if you see any separation. Basically what you are doing is taking a fuel sample.

Let me know what you find. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I on a 4 day trip away from home and unable to test the fuel. I have purchased several tanks of gas in the last 3 months of owning the car. I will add that the exhaust does not smell rich and the tail pipe is light gray. The car acts like it is starving for air win you give it gas. Th car was serviced last august by the previous owner.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Ahh, it may be possible that you have a Mass Air Flow sensor acting up. The only way to see if the MAF sensor is not metering air properly is to put it on a scanner and measure the air and fuel mixture. The MAF sensor can cause a ton of drive ability issues and not turn on a Service Engine Soon light. If you do find it needs a MAF sensor, there is a updated sensor available with a ecm reprogram for your year Maxima. Do NOT! replace it with a after market one. You will be throwing money away. After market MAF sensors NEVER work properly. I have replaced many new after market ones, and also have tried them. They just don't work.

Since your on a 4 day trip, the best thing you can do is see if you have a shop quickly check the Air fuel mixture to see if it's to lean or to rich. If out of spec and no air leaks are found, then you are looking at a MAF.

That is just another item I thought of, since you can not take a fuel sample.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!