Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2005 Nissan Pathfinder: the oil pressure gage is..dealership..looks ok

I have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder the oil pressure gage is on high while driving. It has never been all the way on high since I have had it until the other day. I took it to the dealership and they said everything looks ok. I ahve 100987 miles on it and travel a lot. I bought a Nissan because we have been able to put a lot of miles on them and have a good experences with them. I had to have a fuel sensor replaced while still under my 100,000 mile warrenty and then my service engine light would blink on and the car would feel like it missfired. It did not show a missfire on their computer so they call Nissan and they told them to check the IPDM and they found a short I was not getting much voltage. Now I am out of warrenty and the oil pressure gage is staying on high while driving had had not done this in the past. The dealership checked it out and said everything looks fine. The manual talks about low oil pressure but not high. Is this a problem
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like your oil pressure sensor, showing incorrect readings. HIgh oil pressure is ok, but too high can cause some problems. You could also try to replace your pcv valve incase it is stuck closed. Here are instructiosn on testing the oil pressure sending unit. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. At the oil sending unit verify the Black wire is a good ground and the Gray wire has a 5 volts reference voltage.

2. Then backprobe the White wire and look for a change in voltage. The voltage should change with oil pressure and engine RPMs on the White wire. If the voltage is always high or always low then suspect a faulty oil pressure sending unit.

3. If the voltage is correct then check the powers and grounds at the unified meter control unit.