Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2002 Altima: 2.5 engine..doing this in my garage it is not convenient

Customer Question

I am going to replace the 2.5 engine in my 2002 Altima with a 2006 2.5. Since I am doing this in my garage it is not convenient to drop the engine out the bottom. What do I need to do to remove the engine from the top? Are there any problems I should be aware of?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 7 years ago.
hi the only way you can get the engine from the top is to remove the trans from the engine from the bottom then pull the engine from the top if not you will have to pull it from the bottom .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did pull the engine out from the top without removing the transmission. The 2006 engine was installed in the same manner without removal of the transmission. Clearances were close but didn't prevent me from doing the installation. The information you supplied me was incorrect.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using

Yes the engine can come out the top. What I have found is the lip by the oil filter if you cut that down, you have a easier time coming out and back in when you do the engine swap.

Glad you got it done. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!