Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2005 nissan altima: ac fan run on high speed all of the time..cutting

Customer Question

2005 nissan altima, ac fan run on high speed all of the time, cutting the switch to off does nothing
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Are you talking about the blower motor inside the car, or the Fans under the hood?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
inside of the car , ac fan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Most likely you will need a Ac controller. That is the unit you press to turn the air on. That most likely has a internal failure, and that is why the fan is staying on. I have seen it before. I would have it checked to verify.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Jay and thanks for your quick answer. is there any control device in or around the fan motor that might be out,without being the ac controler
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Not likely. If only high speed worked for the fan, I would have suggested the blower motor resistor. Or if you have auto air, and the fan would not work at all, then I would suggest the blower motor amp.

But since your blower won't stop working, then most likely it's the controller. If you want to turn it off temporarily, just reach under the glove box and unplug the blower motor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi jay , your answer was wrong, can you tell me wher the motor resistor is ?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Did you replace the Ac control unit? Meaning the assembly in the dash that controls the air?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Thats odd. The problems I have seen based on what you are describing is the control unit internally shorted and sending constant voltage to the blower motor. The blower motor resistor / amplifier is located by the blower motor on the passenger side. See image on it's location. Image is not exact, its just a location. The resistor has a long plug and is secured by 2 screws. When removed, it looks like a card.graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
could it be the resistor
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
They call it a amplifier. But it's basically like a resistor. But I have never seen either the amp or the resistor cause a blower motor to stay on constantly. Is the ac controller new or used? Do you have Auto air, or Manual air?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
new
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Auto or manual Air?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
manual
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
I have been looking at the wiring diagram, the only other thing could be that resistor. After that if that does not fix it, then wiring would need to be checked and BCM Input and output signals to the Ac Controls would need to be checked.

All of the Altimas I have seen where the blower motor stays on, is normally a control unit. I am actually surprised. But at this point next would be the Blower motor amp should be checked. I would have voltage and grounds checked before replacing.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there any way you know that I can ge a refund on the ac controller from nissan? and thanks again!
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hmm, Put it back in the box and make sure there is no scraps or dents, or anything indicating it was installed, and take it back and tell them you didn't use it, you opened it but didn't use it. If they ask, just tell them your mechanic found the problem with your car after you brought it. See if they will take it back. It may be possible they will.

Thanks Jay!