Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL PERFORMANCE. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I have a 1997 nissan pathfinder. It is not shifting right after

I have a 1997 nissan pathfinder. It is not shifting right after second gear. It starts to rev real high and wont shift. But if I down shit it my self it stops reving and goes fine. what could be my problem?

It definitely sounds like a transmission issue. THe transmission is slipping and will need to be diagnosed. You will have to bring it to a trans shop so a transmission tech can diagnose it. He will need to perform a series of tests in order to figure out what components are bad inside the transmission.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am just trying to avoid a costly visit to the shop. So I am trying to eliminate some cheaper options first. Does my pathfinder have a modulator valve? I am wondering if it could be that, or a shift solenoid? I know my shift solenoids are behind my transmission filter but I have no clue how to test which could be bad, other than take it to a shop. So I am hoping to find out if it could be my modulator valve and where is it at exactly. I am a female and they will try and rip me off at a shop. Due to my cancer treatments my funds are low. so every penny counts.
Well if the problem was electrconic, it should set a code in the computer. Are there any codes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes.. it was the knock sensor, o2 sensor, and internal transmission came back... i have to try and find the paper for the exact codes
THat would be a big help! Let me know!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
kock sensor [P0325] HO2s2 (b2) [P0156] TW CATALYST SYS-B1 [P0420] A/T TCC SIGNAL [P0744]

Oh... well this is good news. Its just a TCC code.

This is one of the items indicated by the MIL.
This malfunction will not be detected while the O/D OFF indicator lamp is indicating another self-diagnosis malfunction.
This malfunction is detected when the A/T does not shift into fourth gear position or the torque converter clutch does not lock up as instructed by the A/T control unit. This is not caused by electrical malfunction (circuits open or shorted) but by mechanical malfunction such as control valve sticking, improper solenoid valve operation, malfunctioning oil pump or torque converter clutch, etc.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so very much. I knew when that nissan guy said " Well you need a new transmission and wit will cost abot 3000" that I needed to check other options.
Well to me it does not sounds like a major issue. However, I do not have the transmission in front of me to run any tests. But this type of problem is usually just cleared up by a TCC solenoid.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That's exactly my thought also. But when a woman walks in, they see dollar signs. But I know a little more than they think I do. So with yours and my brothers help. I have a cheaper way to try and solve it before they try and take me to the cleaners!

LOL! Good luck! I hope everything works out!

LEt me know what they find!

Have a good day!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

lol.. ok, will do!

you have a great day also!