Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

1987 Nissan pickup: 4 cylinder with 8 spark plugs z24..Runs fine

Customer Question

My brother has a 1987 Nissan pickup 4 cylinder with 8 spark plugs z24. Gas overflows from carburator when hot. Runs fine when cold. We were told to wrap foil around lines to the carburator suspecting 'boiling gas' from heat from the manifold. Didn't work. Truck dangerous in the summer and can only be driven in the winter. No mechanic figure it out. Can you help please? Much appreciated.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

If you have gas over flowing into the carburator when hot , this would tell me the float level in the carburator is to high and the needle and seat are sticking open this would require an overhaul of the carburator , one more thing I have seen is the venturis inside the carburator come loose and can also leak fuel when hot , the only way to fix that is to replace the carburator , If you have fuel injection injector type throttle body, and you have fuel over flowing this would be the injectors sticking open then they would have to be replaced. I hope this helps let me know if you have more questions ,Thanks ROY!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Roy,

Thanks for your response. The carburator has a chrome colored tube across the opening of the carburator intake rather than the buterfly for a choke I've usually seen. Is this the fuel injection type you mentioned? Also, it only happens when the temperature is hot outside. In the winter it doesn't happen and the truck runs ok. Is it more likely that the injectors would stick when hot?

Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

If you have a silver cylinder across the top , this is the fuel injection type, if will do it hot I think this would be your injectors leaking to much fuel , I would get them inspected to know for sure , Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!

Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Nissan Master technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Roy,

Thanks. I'll give him your advice. I'm going to hit accept. I've never used this before so let me know if you do not get paid. I pay my debts to people who give me the benefit of their experiance. Thanks again. I'll right back with the results if you are interested.

Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

OK!

Just click the accept and I will get paid, Thank you and good luck ROY!