Mr. Helpful
Mr. Helpful, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20 year experience including 16 as independant shop owner operator.
9019451

2001 nissan pathfinder: tune..throttle body..ngk plugs and coil all

Customer Question

Did a tune up on a 2001 nissan pathfinder. replaced the plugs and removed the throttle body. ngk plugs and coil all in good condition. made a mistake of trying to clean a mass air flow and it damaged it. Replaced the mass air flow and did a relearn. car drives find. no misses, no codes, idles good. one problem though. on a slow acceleration, very slow, and doesn't matter if it's in drive or neutral or park, when i reach 1750 rpms exactly the rpm fluctuates from 1750-1500 up and down continuosly. give it some gas and it passes through fine. it only gets caught on slow accelerations. replaces the throttle position sensor as well. vehicle also has a new iac sensor. does the computer need to be reprogrammed because of the new maf sensor? it is a nissan part.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mr. Helpful replied 7 years ago.
The answer to your question is no,if you done the relearn properly you should have taken care of any sitation like the above mentioned,but just to offer a little free input- I would inspect the fuel pressure under these same conditions and look for varience and also a sweep test on that tps. I have seen them have glitches right out of the box. Good luck and remeber to hit accept so I'll be compensated for my time and experience,thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
In reference to my initial question. The MAF sensor that was replaced was for a 2001 Maxima. nissan wanted 500$ my cost for the pathfinder. I don't think it's a MAF problem though. I'm skeptical about the TPS being the problem as well. I did disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to try and reboot the system. Test drove the vehicle and didn't do the same thing until about 10 minutes into the test drive. I now have two TPS sensors(both bad?) Would the IAC make the car fluctuate at all? It doesn't happen at Idle so i'm guessing not.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Also...in regards XXXXX XXXXX relearn procedure..What is the PNP switch and how do you turn this off?
neutral safety switch