Joe, Nissan Master Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified A1-A8. Including advance Engine L1. Nissan master factory certifed 6 years ex

2001 Nissan Sentra: liter..misfiring..the spark plugs..cylinders

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra 1.8 liter automatic. The problem is the engine is misfiring. I took the spark plugs out and only cylinders 2 and 3 is wet with gas. I scanned the vehicle and I got a code multiple cylinder misfire. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

Yes a lean condtion will cause a miss fire. If you can I recommend that using a scan tool check if you can monitor 02 sensor and preform fuel increase and decrease and monitor 02 readings and check for changes in voltage. You also want to check harness from o2 sensor bank 2 to ecm for continuity, short to ground or hot. Does your vehicle have 4 02 sensors. If you seen no change in 02 readings and harness is o.k. 2 possible cause may be that 02 sensor is faulty or your ecm is not operating properly. A recall was put to to remove ecm foam from ecm housing. The foam would cause moisture to build up in ecm and cause problems that you are describing. Also make sure that you check fuel pressure. Lack of fuel pressure can also cause lean condition. Also check for any exhuast or intake leaks. Also check basics first. let me know what you find.