Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

1995 nissan: 4x4..a 3 suspension lift kit on it..bearing

Customer Question

I have a 1995 nissan hardbody 4x4 with a 3" suspension lift kit on it. The lift kit was installed in 1999 and ive been having issuses with the support carrier bearing for the last 4 yrs now. Im currently going thru one a year now. I just had an extra leaf spring installed maybe 9 months ago       because we found that the leaf springs had gone flat. I thought that would solve my bearing problem but after noticing a squealing noise when reversing (a week ago) upon looking under i noticed the carrier bearings rubber bushing was already cracked. I cant afford to replace it once a year. Would a one piece shaft work if there is a small angle from front shaft to rear shaft ? Or is there any suggestions you might have on this . Thanks, Tom
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

With the changed angle of the drive shaft the bearing will go out more often, you can not put a one piece shaft will not work on your truck, it will not have the correct angle, the shaft should not be more then the factory angle or it will cause problems , and wear the center support out, this is common with a lift , Thanks let me know if you have more questions, ROY!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Roy, Thanks for your help in this matter. I bought my truck new in 95' and had the lift kit put on it in 1996 by Four wheel Parts Co. My carrier bearing did not go out on it until 2005. So it most likely isnt due to the angle on the shaft. I dont take it off road either. But once it did wear out in 2005 i have been having to get it replaced almost every year. can you tell me something else that would cause it to prematurely wear like that?

Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

OK!

The bearing when you replace it can set the balance off ,I would have a drive shaft shop balance the shaft to make sure it is with in balance, this can also make the bearing wear out to soon it can vibrate and damage the bearing. if you have had the lift kit that long with no problem, then I would check the balance, Thanks let me know if you have more questions, ROY!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Roy, I have a mechanic friend that has been replacing my bearing the last 3 times and an auto shop did it when it went out in 2005. Is balancing the shaft something that an auto shop does automatically after replacing the bearing ?. How is that accomplished,to get the shaft back in balance? My mechanic(James), used to work for Nissan so i dont question his work, but if BALANCING of the shaft is a routine mater with changing out the bearing than that may as well be my problem.
Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

The balancing if one spline off can set it out of balance, I would take it to a drive shaft repair shop, they are the only place that does it , they can balance it for you I think this could be your problem if it keeps going out, if you dont get it exactly correct it can be out of balance

Thanks ROY!
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Nissan Master technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Roy, Thanks for your valued advice. Im going to do just that. By the looks of the bearing right now it looks as if i will be placing it really soon. I hope that this will resolve my situation. If there is a way to reach you upon completion of this i will let you know how it turns out.

Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Roy replied 5 years ago.

HI!

TOM, just repost to me ask for Nissan Master ROY! I will get it , or try to use this post again it will go to me, Thanks a lot ROY!