Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

97 maxima: check engine light..mass air flow sensor..car stalled

Customer Question

I have a 97 maxima. The check engine light was on and thus mass air flow sensor was replaced yesterday. Yesterday When I drove back and stopped at a red light, car stalled. I had to restart the car. Today I got the same problem again.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

HI!

Did the check engine light come on again? let me know Thanks ROY!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for quik reply. The check engine light is not on.
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

OK!

Does it just stall at idle , does it drive ok off idle and accelerate ok, let me know Thanks ROY!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I got the problem twice. one is at a red light and anothe is at a stop sigh. Most time it drivces and acceltates ok. Sometimes I seem to feel a little lurch after idle.

Thanks!
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

HI!

If your car only stalls at idle this could be caused by the idle speed control valve, it is located under the throttle body, and when they go bad the engine can stall at idle , it will not correct for engine idle for load and stall out. this is the most common problem I have seen on the 1997 maxima, Thanks let me know if you have more questions,ROY!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Roy, Thank so much.

I donot the location of idle speed control valve and the throttle body. But I can check later. Do you mean that I change a new valve? Could I DIY? Thanks again!
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

graphicOK!

Here is a pic of the valve it is under the throttle body below where the throttle cables hook up I would replace this first, Thanks ROY!

graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks.I will check tommorw. How can I contact you again?
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

HI!

You can repost to this or re list and ask for me if you need more help make sure you ask for( ROY Nissan master) there are 2 Roys! Thanks again.