Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2000 xterra: steering wheel..the tran is stuck in park /I..exterior

I have a 2000 xterra the key wont turn the steering wheel isn't locked and the tran is stuck in park /I get lights on dash and exterior any hints thanks steve   [email protected]
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Hi there! Can you check and see if the brake lights are working? Let me know! Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I' ba at the car in half an hour I'll let you know then- steve
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK. If not then check fuse # XXXXX inside the truck. It's a 15 amp fuse. If that fuse is good, pull #5 fuse. It is a 7.5 amp fuse. If both fuses are good let me know and we can take it from there. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm going to try this -any other info because i don't have computer access where it is and i'm going to have my son who is 12 email you back the reply when i get to the car so bear with us
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
There should be a small piece of plastic you can remove by the shift lever. Pop it out and then use a pen cap to push down the manual overide switch. This will allow you to get the truck out of park at least, this way you can get it home or to the shop. Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
break lights work,fuses are fine
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The key still won't turn put it in neu try and back in park tried
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tried the Manuel overide of tran anything else I can Do when am I supposed to pay
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
I have to appologize, I misread your question and now see that the key is the problem and not the trans shifter. (guess I haven't had enough coffee yet!) I would have to say you are going to need a new ignition switch. Especially if the key will turn most of the way. Sorry. I checked there are no fuses for the switch. About the only other thing I can think of is to try putting the key in upside down or giggling it which I am sure you have trid.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can't turn the key at all still the switch
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.

Either has to be the switch or the wrong key. I'm pretty sure you would know if it was the wrong key.

If you get a new ignition switch, I can tell you how to change it. It really isn't to bad. Pull the covers off the steering column, the switch is sort of clamped on. You take a chisle and put slots in the top of the bolt heads and then just unscrew them and put the new switch on. Tighten up the new bolts until the heads break off and you are good to go.