Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

does a 1994 nissan maxima have a obd test plug

does a 1994 nissan maxima have a obd test plug?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

There is no OBD connector on that year Maxima. The regular 3.0 single over head cam motors require using the computer diagnostic screw to check for codes and there may have been a connector to check for codes with what we call a checker box.. Where the 92 to 94 Maxima with the duel over head cams had a Nissan scan tool connector to diagnose for codes and still had the diagnostic screw on the computer.

Hope this helps, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is the diagnostic screw and where is it located.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
The diagnostic screw is located on the ECM ( The Computer) There is a particular way of check codes by turning the screw to get to mode 3, then you have to count the flashing lights to get any stored code. Here is a image on the Ecm location.graphic

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can u tell me how to get to mode 3. will it flash a code right off or will it flash a certain # XXXXX time and then give the code?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
It is very difficult to count the blinks properly if you have never done this. Be ready and do not let it go to mode 5, cause it will erase the codes if you don't count the blinks right.
I have been trying to attach the image on how to do it, and it doesn't seem to be working right now. I will try again in a few.

Thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can u tell me a web site that can show/tell me how to do this. thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
I just sent you images for the procedure on how to do it. I don't know of any web sights that give detail instructions on how to perform these checks. These images are right out of the service manual. If you can not understand how to perform this check, then you should let a professional perform the check for you.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where did u send the images. i did not get the in my email. i understand what u are saying, i count the blinks on my 88 chevy truck. just need to know how to get to the blinks. thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
You don't see the images I attached on this thread 4 lines up?

I will be on later this evening if you still need assistance around 7 pm EST. Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer