eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima, need to know how to reset the

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima, need to know how to reset the Airbag light. The car was damaged and the airbag has been replaced but the light is still on.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  eric replied 5 years ago.

Turn the ignition switch OFF for at least one second and then turn back on. At that time the self-diagnostic mode is cleared and light will go off. If warning light comes back on, then there is another malfunction in the Airbag system.

graphic

Expert:  eric replied 5 years ago.

Oops, didnt get you full directions- thanks to another expert for reminding me.

1. Turn ignition switch from OFF to ON.
2. Air Bag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, the turn ignition switch OFF within 1 second after the lamp turn off.
3. After ignition switch is turned OFF, wait for more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 twice. (Perform 3 times in total.)
5. Turn Ignition switch ON.
6. The SRS lamp has been reset it.

If the warning light can not be reset, more diagnosis will be require. Please contact you Nissan dealer for more information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Step 2 states: Air Bag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off (the air bag lamp does not turn off)

Expert:  eric replied 5 years ago.

Then you still have a malfunction in the system. Either the airbag you installed is defective or incorrectly installed, or there is another malfunction. It will need to go on a scanner at this point to further diagnose it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that doesn't make any sense, if airbag lamp is on for 7 seconds then turns off, there is no reason for me to post a question to see if I can get it reset. It would turn off after 7 seconds by itself. The reason for my question was because the airbag light is constantly on when I'm driving.
Expert:  eric replied 5 years ago.

This is the method Nissan says to use to go from diagnosis mode back to user mode without a scanner and clear the codes to reset the system:

graphic

If the light is not going off when doing the reset procedure, this means that whatever repair you have made has NOT fixed the problem with the light being on. Either you have a defective new airbag(or used a junkyard one that was bad), incorrectly installed it, or there are more problems with the airbag system than just the airbag you replaced- a crash sensor could be bad, the diagnostic module could be bad, there could be an open/short in the wiring.

At this point you need the on-board computer read for stored fault codes in the airbag system-there is an outstanding problem not yet repaired. The reset method will NOT work if there is still an open or active fault in the airbag system.