Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

I have a 1992 Nissan Sentra manual transmission. The Clutch

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Nissan Sentra manual transmission. The Clutch pedal show no sign of resistance when drepressed and will go straight to floor board without engaging the clutch. What could the problem be?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.

Hello Norman, Can you verify something for me. If you look near your brake master cylinder, do you have another resivior near it. My info system shows a hydraulic clutch system and a mechanical clutch cable system. I'm not sure which you have. Also if you have a resivior for the clutch, remove the cap and tell me if you have fluid in it. If you do not have a hydraulic system, you most likely have a broken clutch cable. If you do have a hydraulic system, you have either a faulty slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder. Once you tell me which system you have I'll tell you where to look next.

Your JA Expert,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I could not find any other resivoir. Only Brake fluid and power steering fluid.
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.
Ok, that make it very simple. You need a clutch cable. One side attaches under the dash to the clutch pedal, the second attaches to the clutch linkage at the transmission. Here is a picture of where it meets the trans. You may be able to get this part aftermarket. From the dealer it is $63.00. It takes a professional 1.1 hours to install, but if your mechanically inclined you can do it yourself.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ivan. I did not get the picture you mentioned.
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.

Oops. here it is.