Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician

1993 nissan pathfinder: timing crankshaft sprocket

Customer Question

i took my timing belt off of my 1993 nissan pathfinder with a VG30E engine and i didnt mark my camshaft sprockets with my crankshaft sprocket how do i align them before i install my new timing belt
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

If you did not turn the engine put the belt back on and rotate it to the alignment marks, Here is the alignment marks for the belt and sprockets, Thanks let me know if you have more questions, ROY!graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my camshaft sprockets may have slightly moved after the belt was off im trying to figure out how to align the engine with the belt off
Expert:  Roy replied 7 years ago.

You have to be careful you do not want to bend the valves, turn the crank off TDC, so the key way is at 3:00 to the right, rotate the cams to align the marks, then turn the crank so the key is straight up, do this by hand so you do not bind the engine and bend the valves , or put the belt back on and try to rotate it slow by hand if binds stop it would be hitting valves. Try this and good luck , Thanks ROY!