Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2004 nissan altima wont start. Just unplugged battery to see

2004 nissan altima won't start. Just unplugged battery to see if I could clear the service soon light.
Hello and thank you for using

Does the engine turn over and not start? Also you mentioned you have a Service Engine Soon light on. Do you know what code you have?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It does turn over but does not crank.
Well the proper way to correct this problem would be to have the code read. The code will probably tell you what system is keeping the car from starting. There are 100's of codes, so guessing the code will not work. I can suggest some checks to see if they help find the problem how ever. There is a cam and crank sensor. These items are the most common for no start conditions. I am not saying this is your problem, but I am saying this is something you can check. Unplug the sensor and look for oil in the connector part of the sensor. If you find oil in it, then it is no good and would need to be replaced. Here are images of there location. The true picture is for the crank sensor location.graphicgraphicgraphic

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bought OBDII Scanner. It was the cam sensor. Thanks!