mauricio, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  15 years working in all makes and models

2003 nissan Altima: I change the rear hub bearings

How do I change the rear hub bearings on my 2003 nissan Altima 3.5SL. Is there a video or some pictures that show how this is done. I took it to a mechanic and he said that it would cost me $400 to get it replaced, and wanted to do it myself to save money!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  mauricio replied 7 years ago.
Removal and Installation

• Before removing the rear wheel hub assembly, disconnect the ABS sensor and parking brake cable from the assembly. Then move it away from the hub assembly. Failure to do so may result in damage to the sensor wires and the sensor becoming inoperative.
  • Wheel hub bearing does not require maintenance. If any of the following symptoms are noted, replace wheel hub bearing assembly.
  • Growling noise is emitted from wheel hub bearing during operation.
  • Wheel hub bearing drags or turns roughly. This occurs when turning hub by hand after bearing lock nut is tightened to specified torque.
  1. Remove brake caliper assembly, using power tool.
  2. Remove brake rotor.
  3. Remove wheel hub from knuckle. Brake hose does not need to be disconnected from brake caliper. Suspend caliper assembly with wire so as not to stretch brake hose. Be careful not to depress brake pedal, or piston will pop out. Make sure brake hose is not twisted.
  4. graphic