Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Car will not move when shift into gear

Customer Question

car will not move when shift into gear
Submitted: 5 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Is it a automatic transmission or manual transmission?

Let me know. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is Manual Transmission. Few days back the car was not picking up in the first gear as it normally would, and I thought it was beacuse of snow.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

If the car shifts into gear but does not move, that sounds like a clutch issue. Most likely the clutch is worn beyond the friction point, that is why it will not move. Removing the trans to inspect the clutch will be necessary if fluid level is good and slave cylinder operates.

If you have any more questions, please feel to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your response, I took the car to mechanic thinking it is clutch, spend some 70 bucks on toeing. the mechanic there says transmission is bad, and needs to be replaced and then he may change clutch too. he is giving me an estimate of $1235. I am not sure am I being cheated or the car transmission is so bad that it needs $1235 to fix. And is it a good idea to fix this car.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Did the shifter move into all gears smooth?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes It moved into all gears smooth
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

Then I would not think you need a transmission. I know the transmission has to be removed to replace the clutch. So, I would not think you need a trans. I have seen clutches fail and the car not move, like you are describing. Sounds to me, if the trans shifts find, but can move. It's a clutch. The clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing and resurfacing the flywheel, should correct your problem.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
If you have any more questions on this topic, please feel free to ask. If not, please press Accept if you are satisfied with my response.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!