Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 05 nissan maxima that the fuel gauge needle is on

Customer Question

I have a 05 nissan maxima that the fuel gauge needle is on the bottom side. Can I fix this with out taking the dash apart(by reversing the polarity)? This is also the second time that it has happened. The first time they took the dash apart and manuly put the needle on the other side. They said it happens because of a voltage spike.If so how can I prevent it from happening again?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

There is no easy trick to get the needle back where it should be. The guages would need to be removed an opened up to reset the guage.

I have seen that if coins are placed by the display screen, they can fall behind an actually fall into the meter control unit. If that happens it can cause the guages to act weird and also cause them not to work. I may be possible that a coin may be in there spiking the circuit. I would remove and have that inspected also as a possible cause to your problem, so it won't happen again.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!