Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

How do i replace my water pump on a 1996 nissan maxima se automatic

how do i replace my water pump on a 1996 nissan maxima se automatic
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there! Here is the entire section for the water pump. There are a bunch of variations on the 3.0 L so hopefully this will help! Thanks
VG30E Engine

See Figure 1

The water pump is located in the front center of the engine.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: The timing belt cover must be removed to fully access the water pump

Be careful not to spill coolant on the timing belt when performing this procedure.

1. Drain the cooling system through the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator, and the drain plugs on both sides of the block.
CAUTION
Never open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. Also, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
  1. Remove the upper radiator hose.
  2. Loosen and remove the drive belt(s) from the water pump pulley.
  3. To make the operation easier, remove the timing belt cover. If necessary, remove the thermostat housing and gasket for access.
  4. Remove the water pump-to-engine bolts (noting different lengths) and remove the pump. If the water pump has excessive end play or rough operation, replace it.
To install:
  1. Clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
  2. Use a new gasket and coat the gasket with sealant. Reinstall the pump and torque the water pump-to-engine bolts evenly to 12-15 ft. lbs. (16-21 Nm).
  3. If the thermostat housing was removed, install it with a new gasket. Install the cruise control unit if removed.
  4. Install the tensioner, tensioner bracket, air conditioning belt and adjust the belt correctly.
  5. Install the upper radiator hose.
  6. Refill the cooling system. Connect the negative battery cable.
  7. Start the engine, run to normal operating temperature and check for the correct coolant level and for leaks.
VE30DE Engine

See Figures 2 through 7

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Water pump location and torque specifications-VE30DE engine
  1. Remove the splash shield on the passenger side of the vehicle.
  2. Drain the cooling system.
CAUTION
  1. Remove the upper radiator hose to access the upper water pump bolts.
  2. Remove the small hose attached the upper part of the water pump.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Removing the upper radiator hose will allow better access to the upper bolts and the small hose attached to the pump
  1. Remove the drive belts from the front of the engine.
  2. Remove the tensioner pulley for the air conditioning compressor belt.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Removing the A/C belt tensioner will allow more room to remove the pump once it's unbolted from the engine

It is recommended that the crankshaft damper be removed to make water pump removal and installation easier.

1. Remove the water pump pulley-to-water pump bolts, followed by the pulley.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: Use a prybar with a square edge to hold the pulley in place while loosening the bolts; then unscrew them by hand
  1. Remove the water pump-to-engine bolts. Label each bolt, noting location, and bolt length.
WARNING
Failure to install the bolts of different lengths in their proper locations could result in a cracked timing chain cover, requiring time consuming and costly repair. Be sure to label each bolt and its location.
  1. Remove the water pump from the engine. If the water pump has excessive end play or rough operation, replace it.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: The water pump has to be carefully positioned for removal
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Use locking pliers and carefully twist out the timing pointer if pump removal is difficult
To install:
  1. Clean the gasket mounting surfaces and grooves.
  2. Using liquid sealant, apply a continuous bead to the gasket mounting surfaces of the water pump.
  3. Install the water pump and torque water pump-to-engine bolts to 12-15 ft. lbs. (16-21 Nm).
  4. Install the water pump pulley and torque the water pump pulley-to-water pump bolts to 4.6-6.1 ft. lbs. (6.3-8.3 Nm).
  5. Install the tensioner pulley for the air conditioning compressor belt.
  6. Install the crankshaft damper, if removed.
  7. Install the timing pointer, if removed.
  8. Install the drive belts from the engine and set the proper tension.
  9. Install the splash shield on the passenger side of the vehicle.
  10. Attach the hoses to the upper water pump and the main inlet pipe.
  11. Refill the cooling system to the appropriate capacity.
  12. Start the engine, run to normal operating temperature and check for the correct coolant level and for leaks.
VQ30DE Engine

See Figures 8 through 12

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: VQ30DE engine water pump location, associated components and torque specifications
  1. Remove the splash shields from under the vehicle.
  2. Drain the coolant system.
CAUTION
  1. Remove the right side motor mount and bracket assembly. Use a jack or an engine support to hold the engine in place while the mount is removed.
  2. Remove the drive belts and the idler pulley bracket.
  3. Remove the water pump drain plug.
  4. Remove the chain tensioner cover and the water pump cover.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: Water pump and chain tensioner cover locations-VQ30DE engine
  1. Using a suitable tool, push in the timing chain tensioner sleeve. Use a small pin to stop the tensioner from returning.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 10: Push in the chain tensioner and hold in place with a small pin
  1. Remove the three water pump bolts. To relax the tension on the timing chain, turn the crankshaft damper approximately 20 ° counterclockwise.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 11: After the three water pump bolts are removed, turn the crankshaft to loosen the timing chain slightly
  1. Using two longer bolts, carefully draw the pump out of the housing. Turn each bolt no more than one half turn each time, or the pump and housing may be damaged.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 12: The water pump is drawn out of the timing chain case using two long bolts
  1. Remove the water pump assembly from the engine. Discard the O-rings.
  2. Inspect the assembly for excessive corrosion, rough operation or end play. Replace as necessary.
To install:
  1. Place a small amount of coolant on the O-rings to lubricate them.
  2. Carefully push the water pump assembly into the housing.
WARNING
Do sure not to cut the O-rings on the pump housing when installing the pump assembly. Be sure to lubricate the O-rings before assembly.
  1. Tighten the water pump assembly bolts to 5.1-7.2 ft. lb. (7-10 Nm.).
  2. Return the crankshaft to its original position by turning it 20° forward.
  3. Install the timing chain tensioner. Tighten the two bolts to 6.2-8.0 ft. lb. (8.4-10.8 Nm.). Remove the retainer pin from the tensioner.
  4. Clean the mating surfaces of the chain tensioner cover and water pump cover. Apply a fresh bead of appropriate liquid gasket to each cover.
  5. Install the covers, and torque the bolts to 7-9 ft. lb. (10-13 Nm.).
  6. Install the water pump drain plug.
  7. Install the drive belts and the idler pulley bracket Be sure to set belt tension properly.
  8. Install the right side motor mount and bracket assembly.
  9. Refill the coolant system.

Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.