Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

How can i reset the computer on my 2001 nissan pathfinder

how can i reset the computer on my 2001 nissan pathfinder
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
HI there! The best method would be to have a parts store like autozone clear it with a code reader. Most will do it at no charge for you. You can also disconnect the battery,however that can take up to 24 hours.
Here is the nissan procedure to do it without a scan tool. It is tricky,and the timing has to be just right or else it won't work. Hope this helps! Thanks

How to read the engine codes without a Nissan CONSULT or scan tool. (Set ECM in Diagnostic Test Mode II)

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.

2. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.

1. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.

2. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the MIL starts blinking.

4. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

5. ECM has entered to Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic results).

How to clear the engine codes without a Nissan CONSULT or scan tool.

1. Set ECM in Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic results).

2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds. The emission-related diagnostic information has been erased from the backup memory in the ECM.

3. Fully release the accelerator pedal, and confirm the DTC 0000 is displayed.
  • If the battery is disconnected, the DTC will be lost from the backup memory within 24 hours.

• Be careful not to erase the stored memory before starting trouble diagnoses.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.