FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, MasterTechnician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

2005 nissan altima: wont start..It ran fine the day..tank

My 2005 nissan altima won't start. Turns over, sounds like it's not igniting or something. It ran fine the day before and has 3/4 tank of gas. Just turned over 100,000 miles. After trying to start several times, my garage smelled of gas. Do you think its spark plug, timing chain or fuel pump.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer what size engine do you have in the vehicle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do I know what size it is? its a 4 cylinder

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2.5 L 4 cylinder
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Okay. one common problem on this vehicle is a problem with interference with the transponder in the key for the security system. Start by trying to start the vehicle with an extra key if possible. If that still does not work then you may have a sensor issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is the only key I have. How do I know is if it is a sensor issue?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Does the security light come on and/or flash when cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Then you most likely have a problem with one of the sensors. The most common sensor to fail and cause this type of issue is the crank sensor. You should not have a fuel system problem since you are smelling gas when cranking it. Is there any difference if you hold the gas pedal down?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No difference when holding the gas pedal down. I had a recall fixed last year, I think it had to do the crank sensor.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
A lot of the time the dealer with reprogram the computer for the sensor without actually replacing it. I think you need to throw in a new crank sensor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Do I have to have a crank sensor replaced at a dealership or can a general mechanic get to it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oops sorry... Just spoke to nissan re: recall done last year, Crank sensor was replaced Feb of 08. Now what?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
It is possible that the sensor has failed again if it was not replaced with an updated version. If the sensor is not the problem then you will need to start by removing the plugs and checking them. See if they are saturated with fuel and/or oil. If they are then either replace them or clean them and dry them out to see if it will start.
FIXITMAN, MasterTechnician
Experience: ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech