AutoTech08
AutoTech08, Workshop owner
Experience:  Diploma in Automotive Engineering, 30 years working experience.
12605055

How do you replace a timing chain on a 96 nissan pick up 4 cylinder?

how do you replace a timing chain on a 96 nissan pick up 4 cylinder?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  AutoTech08 replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

TIMING CHAIN

CAUTION: If cylinder head is installed and timing chain is disconnected, DO NOT rotate camshaft or crankshaft; valves will contact pistons, resulting in bent valves.

Removal

1. Release fuel pressure. Disconnect negative battery cable. Drain coolant from radiator and cylinder block. Remove radiator shroud and fan. Remove accessory drive belts. Remove spark plugs.

2. Remove distributor cap. Set cylinder No. 1 at TDC of compression stroke (rotate crankshaft until marks on crankshaft pulley and front cover align, and distributor rotor points to spark plug wire No. 1 on cap). Remove distributor. Remove power steering pump, idler pulley and power steering pump brackets.

3. Remove A/C compressor idler pulley (if equipped). Remove crankshaft pulley. Remove oil pump and oil pump drive spindle from right side of front cover. Remove oil pan. See OIL PAN. Remove front cover.

4. Remove chain tensioner, chain guides, timing chain and sprocket. Remove oil slinger, oil pump drive gear and crankshaft sprocket.

Installation

1. Install crankshaft sprocket with sprocket teeth toward front of engine, and shoulder toward rear of engine. Install oil pump drive gear with gear teeth toward front of engine, and shoulder toward rear of engine. Install oil slinger.

2. Ensure cylinder No. 1 is at TDC of compression stroke. Camshaft knockpin (or keyway) and crankshaft sprocket keyway should be at 12 o'clock position. See Fig. 7 . Install timing chain, aligning timing chain links with timing mark on each sprocket.

graphic

3. Tighten camshaft sprocket bolt to specification. Install chain guide. Install chain tensioner. Apply lithium grease to sealing lip of front cover oil seal. Apply a .08-.12" (2-3 mm) diameter bead of sealant to front cover.

4. Install front cover, ensuring front cover-to-cylinder block oil seals are in position on right sealing surface of cylinder block. Apply sealant to rubber plugs for cylinder head cover. See Fig. 4 . Install rubber plugs. Install cylinder head cover. Tighten bolts to specification.

graphic

5. Install oil pan. Align punch mark on oil pump drive spindle with oil hole on oil pump. See Fig. 8 . Using NEW gasket, install oil pump and drive spindle assembly into front cover. Ensure upper end of drive spindle is correctly positioned. Install distributor, ensuring rotor is correctly positioned. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This started out as a leak on the timing cover. After I removed the timing cover I found the timing chain guide (tension side) was missing the plastic guide. Before I removed the timing chain, I turned the crank until the valves for the 1 number clyinder were closed, # XXXXX piston was TDC and the wooddruf keys on the crank are at 12 o'clock. I could turn the motor over by hand without any problems. Next I installed the new chain and guides with the timing in the same position that I left it in, now I can not turn the motor over. Not sure what the problem is besides the timing being out.

Hi there,

Are you able to turn the motor anti-clockwise for any distance?

Did you recheck the timing marks?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I can only rotate anti-clockwise for a quarter turn, key way would be at 9 clock. Yes I have re-checked the timing.

Thanks

If the crankshaft can only be turned 90 degrees, the possibility of valve timing is not high as for the valves to be interfering, it would more likely be about 160 to 170 degrees turn anticlockwise.

However if it is the camshaft that can be rotated about 90 degrees, then you have the timing wrong, the valves are restricting movement when contacting the pistons..