CAUTION: If cylinder head is installed and timing chain is disconnected, DO NOT rotate camshaft or crankshaft; valves will contact pistons, resulting in bent valves.
1. Release fuel pressure. Disconnect negative battery cable. Drain coolant from radiator and cylinder block. Remove radiator shroud and fan. Remove accessory drive belts. Remove spark plugs.
2. Remove distributor cap. Set cylinder No. 1 at TDC of compression stroke (rotate crankshaft until marks on crankshaft pulley and front cover align, and distributor rotor points to spark plug wire No. 1 on cap). Remove distributor. Remove power steering pump, idler pulley and power steering pump brackets.
3. Remove A/C compressor idler pulley (if equipped). Remove crankshaft pulley. Remove oil pump and oil pump drive spindle from right side of front cover. Remove oil pan. See OIL PAN. Remove front cover.
4. Remove chain tensioner, chain guides, timing chain and sprocket. Remove oil slinger, oil pump drive gear and crankshaft sprocket.
1. Install crankshaft sprocket with sprocket teeth toward front of engine, and shoulder toward rear of engine. Install oil pump drive gear with gear teeth toward front of engine, and shoulder toward rear of engine. Install oil slinger.
2. Ensure cylinder No. 1 is at TDC of compression stroke. Camshaft knockpin (or keyway) and crankshaft sprocket keyway should be at 12 o'clock position. See Fig. 7 . Install timing chain, aligning timing chain links with timing mark on each sprocket.
3. Tighten camshaft sprocket bolt to specification. Install chain guide. Install chain tensioner. Apply lithium grease to sealing lip of front cover oil seal. Apply a .08-.12" (2-3 mm) diameter bead of sealant to front cover.
4. Install front cover, ensuring front cover-to-cylinder block oil seals are in position on right sealing surface of cylinder block. Apply sealant to rubber plugs for cylinder head cover. See Fig. 4 . Install rubber plugs. Install cylinder head cover. Tighten bolts to specification.
5. Install oil pan. Align punch mark on oil pump drive spindle with oil hole on oil pump. See Fig. 8 . Using NEW gasket, install oil pump and drive spindle assembly into front cover. Ensure upper end of drive spindle is correctly positioned. Install distributor, ensuring rotor is correctly positioned. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure.