Big A
Big A, Nissan Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech
12047944

How do you remove the front rotors on a 1997 nissan pathfinder 4wd

Customer Question

how do you remove the front rotors on a 1997 nissan pathfinder 4wd
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Big A replied 6 years ago.

hiCustomer

how far are you along, you say to the bearings? you have removed the dust cap, and the retaining clip on the flange with all the nuts on it , and removed that flange?

Just trying to get a feel for how far along you are.. let me know

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I have removed the dust cap and flange and I have the nut that holds the bearing in place off
Expert:  Big A replied 6 years ago.
so do you have the hub assy off the car?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes, and I have removed the nut that holds the bearing

Expert:  Big A replied 6 years ago.

ok, im getting with you now.. are you replacing the rotors and or the bearings?

to remove the rotor from the hup you remove about 6 bolts from the side that the wheel

bolts up to, rotors are usually stuck and require some wd 40 and a hammer to seperate from the hub..

please reply back if this is not what you are talking about.. glad to help

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes I have the rotor detached from the hub, but the hub with the lugs is still on the car and I can't get that part off to remove the rotor. I have the cap with the six small nuts off. But I can not get the rear part of the hub off the vehicle

Expert:  Big A replied 6 years ago.
ok, there is a lock washer inside that hub rightbehind where you removed that plate it has several holes on it there is two philips head screws holding it on, have you seen this part? you may have to remove some of the grease off the axle.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I have removed the two screws and the plate. I have unscrewed the nut behind them.
Expert:  Big A replied 6 years ago.

you are there then.. thats all that hold the hub on.

The bearings may be stuck to the axle.. you should be able to pull the hub off at this point

best bet would be to get a hammer and start tapping the hub from behind, put a few bolts in the rotor to hold it in place. start taping in different positions like 12 oclock then 6 3 and 9 and so on.... keep the pressure even

do the bearings feel rough when turning the hub or are they blue looking?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No the bearing feel smooth when I turn the hub. and as best I can tell they do not look blue. If they are when I get them out do the bearings need to be replaced?
Expert:  Big A replied 6 years ago.

it would be a good idea if they have a blue tint to them.. this happens when the get too hot, thats usualy what causes them to stick to the axle like you are describing.

Big A, Nissan Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you that is working great
Expert:  Big A replied 6 years ago.

graphic

This may help you going back together, if you need any more help let me know..