Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

2002 Nissan sentra GXE: New fuel pump and it has spark..runs fine

2002 Nissan sentra GXE 1.8 Will not start most of the time. New fuel pump and it has spark. when it does start it runs fine . until you go to start it up again then it may or may not start. Right now it will not start. No codes present
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

HI!

I would check the injectors and see if they are clicking, put a screw driver to the injector the other end to your ear while cranking, and see if they are clicking if not the control unit could be bad, we replace a lot of ECM on the 2002 sentra This might be your problem, Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
do you have a cost
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

HI!

For a new ECM the price is listed here, Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY! graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is there anyting else like crank ,cam sensor that can be tested before I spend this kind of money
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.
If you have spark the sensors are working, this is why I wanted you to check the injectors for operation , to answer your question, yes the cam and crank sensors can cause a no start, but when it does there will be no spark either, and they will set a code in the ECM if bad. also make sure you have fuel pressure when it will not start, Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can here the injector clicking what else can I check
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

OK!

If you have spark, injectors, check the fuel pressure ,if you had a gage to check pressure this would help should be around 35 psi. if that is ok unplug the air flow meter and see if it will start. also remove the spark plugs and see if they are fouled with fuel if they are clean them or replace them. If there is to much fuel in the cylinders remove the fuel pump fuse and crank it until it try to start, them reinstall the fuse. I have seen a lot of sentra become flooded and not start . try this and let me know, Thanks ROY!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
you are right on plugs major fowled . fuel psi is 38.5 Im thanking reg and or injectors leaning to reg because all are fowled.
Expert:  Roy replied 8 years ago.

OK!

I would replace the plugs, also check the oil for a fuel smell ,you might want to change the engine oil if it has fuel in it . what can happen is if the base idle is not set correctly the engine will not get enough air on cold start up , and load the plugs up. When you try to start the car hold the throttle open about a 1/4 open, to let more air in on cold start up this will also help from loading up plugs. Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have any more questions, ROY!